医院简介


The First Affiliated Hospital of Soochow University

Suzhou First People’s Hospital

The First Affiliated Hospital of Soochow University , Suzhou First People’s Hospital, has its origin in Suzhou Boxi Hospital, which was founded by the American Methodist Episcopal Church in 1883 (the 9th year during the Guang Xu Reign of the Qing Dynasty). It was renamed as “Suzhou First People’s Hospital” in October, 1954. Later, in September 1957 and September 1959, it was renamed as “The Affiliated Hospital of Suzhou Medical College” and “The First Affiliated Hospital of Suzhou Medical College” respectively. In April 2000, Suzhou Medical College was merged into Soochow University , therefore the hospital was renamed as “The First Affiliated Hospital of Soochow University”. In December 1994, it became one of the first “Grade III, Level A” hospitals approved by the Ministry of Public Health in Jiangsu Province and wass acknowledged by the Public Health Department of Jiangsu Province as one of the key provincial hospitals directly under its leadership as well as a “public health advisory centre of southern Jiangsu Province”. In January 2003, it was appointed one of the network hospitals of the International Emergency Assistance Centre by the Ministry of Health. The hospital has a history of over 120 years and has now become a large general hospital which integrates medical treatment, scientific research, teaching, prevention and health care and features a complete variety of departments, strong technical forces, advanced equipment, pleasant environment, high level of academic research and good work ethics.

The hospital is situated in the eastern part of the ancient city proper and covers an area of 220, 000 m2 . Its current area of structure is 150, 000 m2 , 110, 000 m2 of which are for medical service. The total amount of the hospital’s fixed assets is 700 million RMB, 340 million of which goes to medical equipment. At present, the hospital is facilitated with 1431 beds. It receives 1.3 million outpatients and emergency treatments, discharges 40, 000 inpatients and performs 16, 000 elective operations on a yearly basis.

The hospital now has a staff of 2023 persons (including contract workers), 1691 of whom are medical professionals. As a reservoir of talents, it takes pride in having 31 doctoral tutors, 126 master tutors, 1 academician of the Chinese Academy of Engineering, 1 chief committee member of Hematology in the Chinese Medical Association, 1 winner of the provincial “Outstanding Contribution to Medicine Award”, 1 key provincial medical research subject and its leader, 3 leading medical talents for the “Health Promotion Project” for Jiangsu Province, 4 excellent key provincial medical talents, 13 key provincial medial talents. The hospital is also staffed with 1 chief scientist, 1 pioneering scientific talent, and 14 leading talents of the scientific force of Jiangsu Province who are all either young or middle-aged as well as 39 experts who receive special allowances from the government.

Having a complete range of departments and a batch of specialized key departments, the hospital now has 2 clinical medical centres of the “Health Promotion Project” for Jiangsu Province (hematology and orthopedics), 15 provincial key clinical departments (cardiovascular internal medicine, hematology, respiratory medicine, general surgery, orthopedic surgery, neurological surgery, cardio-thoracic surgery, urological surgery, nuclear medicine, medical imageology, obstetrics and gynecology, anesthesiology, infectious diseases, neurology and interventional treatment), 1 national key subject (internal hematology), 1 potential national key subject (orthopedic surgery), 1 key subject of the State Commission of Science and Technology for National Defense Industry (internal hematology), 1 key laboratory of the Ministry of Health (The Thrombus and Hemostasis Laboratory), 17 majors qualified for the national drug clinical trials. Also, the hospital is equipped with Jiangsu Blood Research Institute and the HLA Typing Laboratory for the National Database for HSC (Hematopoietic Stem Cell) Donors (Jiangsu Branch).

Apart from doctoral programs and master program in clinical medicine, the hospital also has postdoctoral programs. Clinical Department I is set within the hospital with 4 subdivisions and 23 teaching and research sections which are responsible for the teaching and practising task of clinical medicine in the university.

The hospital has long valued scientific research. Between 2003 and 2006, it won 182 awards for scientific research, 27 of which are awards for scientific advancement at and above provincial level. The paper titled “The Basis and Clinical Study of Spinal Posterior Pedicle Screw Fixation” won the 2nd prize of the National Science and Techonology Advancement Award in 2004, and the Blood Research Institute succeeded in cultivating the human leukemic cell lines, which has made significant contributions to the world leukemia research.

Over the years, the hospital has well conducted academic dialogues and established friendly partnerships with the medical circle in the United States, UK, France, Germany, Japan, Korea, Australia, Canada, Switzerland, Hong Kong and Taiwan, and many batches of technically proficient professionals have been sent to these countries and areas for further study, investigation, visiting and academic communication successively.

Faced with the various challenges and opportunities of the 21st century, also under the guidance of “the scientific concept of development”, the management level and the staff of the hospital are determined to follow the hospital motto of studying extensively to draw upon others’ merits and highlighting the value of morality and life in their efforts to exert preciseness in medical practice and provide quality medical service, to enhance work ethics and improve managerial skills, to seek specialization in operation, to encourage pioneering spirits and purse sustainable development and self-perfection.